Disneyland After Dark Events 2020
Disneyland After Dark special events are so much fun! Kevin and I had the opportunity to attend the Disneyland After Dark Sweethearts Night on February 12, 2020, and I not only wanted to share our experience with you guys but share some tips and tricks to making the most out of this experience and your time. I highly recommend checking out one of these After Dark events if you have the opportunity. They really are so much fun! So like I mentioned, Kevin and I attended Sweethearts night. It was a night that was full of love, magic, and happiness. I feel like this night was made for me. They had Disney princesses all around, Disney love songs playing everywhere, amazing photo ops, special food/treats. Everything was pink, hearts and so so cute!!!! Seeing the castle pink and covered in hearts made me SO happy. Let’s just dive right in!!!
What is Disneyland After Dark?
So a few times a year, Disneyland offers these special After Hour events. You will need a separate ticket to attend, and AP discounts are not applied. So if you plan on attending the park for the day, and want to go to an After Dark event, you will need 2 separate tickets to attend. One ticket for regular park hours and a separate ticket for the special event.
How much does it cost?
2020 After Dark Events
January 29th was 80’s Nite Hosted in Disneyland
February 12 & 13 was Sweethearts Nite Hosted in Disneyland
March 5 Pixar Nite Hosted in Disney California Adventure Park
April 30 Villains Nite Hosted in Disney California Adventure Park
What is there to do at these events?
Each event will have a unique theme. From the food to the decorations to the photo ops, each night is custom and special. For sweethearts night, seeing all the princesses with their princes, the dance party and seeing the castle and Mainstreet covered with hearts and everything being pink was amazing. The food was all themed with “love” and it was amazing. Most rides are open with very little wait times, special music, meet and greets and photo ops make each night super special and fun.
Helpful info to keep in mind for these special events.
- You will need a separate ticket to attend.
- The party starts at 9 pm, but with your event ticket, you can enter the parks at 6 pm. Special foods, photo ops, etc will not begin until 9 pm. So you do have a few hours to ride rides, spend time in the parks and enjoy yourself before the party begins
- Make sure you check in so you can get your special wrist band and brochure/map that will have all the information you need for the night. Locations for themed foods, character meet and greets, photo ops, which rides will be open, special themed shows times and locations….everything you need will be in this map.
- Make sure to arrive early so you are inside the park right when the event begins and all checked in and ready to go.
- They will make sure everyone else is out of the park before the event begins. The park will only be open for those who have a special ticket/credential/wristband. So crowds are very low which is amazing!
- Some photo ops are available before 9 pm, so make sure to keep your eyes open for them, walk around and check it out. Getting some photos done early will help so you have more time once the party actually starts
- Remember, characters will get a break every 30 minutes. We were waiting in line to see Mickey and Minnie, and they kept telling us that we might not make it to see them before they had to switch. Donald and Daisy were coming out soon to continue the line but luckily, we made it just in time to see Mickey and Minnie before the switch. This is just something to keep in mind.
- They do have special food available at these events that are on theme and brand to the event. They are usually super cute, tasty and they do sell out. So if there is a special themed snack or food you really want to try, make sure to get it right away. If you wait until the end of the party, these items could be sold out.
- Continuing with items being sold out, they do have special merchandise. For sweethearts night, they had a special pin and a shirt. It was not available to purchase until 9 pm. The line started to form when they allowed people in at 6 pm. When Kevin and I tried to get in line right before 9, the line was already super long, and we were told that we would be taking a lot of time spent waiting in line which would take away from the rest of the party. We decided to not get in line and enjoy our time doing other things. I am so happy we decided to do that. We heard a lot of people say that they spent over an hour waiting in line. So if merchandise is really a priority to you, get in one right away or wait. We went back to check in on the line around 10, and the pins were already sold out. So if the special merch is a priority, you may want to wait right when you are allowed to line up. I recommend not wasting your time doing this, but again, prioritize what’s most important to you. (certain characters, photo ops, foods, experiences, etc.)
- The events go from 9 pm-1 am. So you have 4 hours to enjoy the party. It is not much time so you will probably not be able to do everything and try everything. So again, check the brochure and prioritize what you want to do most. Which characters you want to see, which rides you want to ride, foods you want to try, photo ops….do what you want first and right away!
- Lines for photo ops, characters, and special foods were LONG!!! So choose whats most important to you and decide if it is worth waiting in those long lines.
- The parks are empty compared to a regular capacity day. So even though not all rides are open, a lot of them are and this is a great time to ride your favorite rides with little to no wait time. For Kevin and I, we choose to spend our time enjoying the special event and did not choose to ride the rides. For us, the photos, foods, meet and greets, fireworks…everything the special event had to offer was more important to us than taking time to ride rides. We did check many wait times for the rides as we passed by them and most rides in Disneyland only had 5-10 minute standby wait times. Rise of the Resistance was closed during this special event.
- Enjoy the special entertainment. They have live bands, singers, DJs, and even have dance parties where special characters are there to dance and interact with you. Being able to dance with the 3 good fairies from Sleeping Beauty and also Aurora and Prince Phillip was a dream come true for me and totally made my night. Take advantage of the dancing and live music. It’s so much fun.
- The firework show was so fun and beautiful. They had special music, projections on the castle and on Mainstreet. The special fireworks show was one of my favorite parts of the event. I like standing on mainstreet so you can see the castle, but also all of the projections on Mainstreet. It’s so magical to see the castle, fireworks and main street.
- Lastly, do not get upset or discouraged if you cannot get everything done. You will not be able to do all of the meets and greets, photo ops and try all of the foods. You only have 4 hours so it’s not much time. Best advice, do what you want first, prioritize what means the most to you and just enjoy the time you do have.
My overall opinion of Disneyland After Dark Sweethearts Nite and Do I think it is worth it?
I had so much fun at Sweethearts night with Kevin. I am so happy we were able to attend. In my opinion, it was absolutely worth the money for a ticket. The characters were amazing, the photos were so fun and the themed food was a special treat.
Some things I did not like is how short the event is. I wish you had a little extra time so you can try and do everything without feeling rushed or that you “missed out” on something. I also feel like in regards to merchandise there should be multiple locations to purchase these items, not only having them in one place, with one giant line and then SELLING OUT! Even though I did not really care about the merchandise, I was upset that they sold out so quickly and did not have enough items for everyone attending this event. I also feel like the price of the tickets should include something special. A free pin, gift, snacks, would have been nice and given this event that extra special Disney touch.
So overall I HIGHLY recommend checking out these special events. But, keep in mind you will not have time to do everything, so make sure you do the things you want first and don’t stress or worry about doing everything. Enjoy spending the time in the park, with lower crowds, fun theming and spending time with the people you attend with.
These Disneyland After Dark Events are truly a fun one of a kind experience and I think it is definitely worth attending.
Until Next Time,
Are you looking at planning a trip to any of the Disney Resorts? I am proud to have partnered with Get Away Today to have them help you plan your next trip. You can check out there site HERE to book vacation packages or if you are only looking for tickets you can also use the link to access discounted tickets to Disney and many other theme parks and attractions! You can also use the Coupon Code JJourney10 to receive $10 off your next Southern California vacation package that included 2+ nights and at least 2 tickets.