Rise of the Resistance-
On December 5, 2019 Rise of the Resistance opened in Walt Disney World at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. On January 17, 2020, Disneyland opened its doors to this new attraction. In Disneyland, this Ride is located in Black Spire Outpost on the planet of Batuu (Or as I call it, In Star Wars land inside of Disneyland).
Ok, before we jump into all the information you need and the tips I have for being able to ride this new attraction let’s just take a moment to say how truly amazing this whole experience is. Yes experience. It is more than a ride, it’s truly an experience.
I have to admit, I am not a Star Wars fan, at all, but after riding this ride, I feel like I might want to start learning more about Star Wars. It was truly so well done…from the moment you get in line to the moment you exit the ride, you are fully immersed in this land, attraction and in for a one of a kind experience that truly blew me away.
Kevin and I had the opportunity to ride Rise of the Resistance in Disneyland recently and omg. It is definitely a unique one of a kind experience. However, you will need a boarding pass to ride and getting that boarding pass can be a little tricky. So, I wanted to share some of my tips and what helped us to score a boarding pass and hopefully, these tips help you be able to experience this ride too.
How To get a Boarding Pass for Rise of the Resistance
Before we begin, let me just say, even if you follow all of the tips and tricks and do everything you are “supposed to do”, there is still no guarantee you will get a boarding group or be able to ride this ride. I just wanted to throw that out there. But hopefully, these tips will help explain what you can do, tips to follow and give you some extra Disney luck so you can hopefully score a golden ticket, also known as a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance.
1. You MUST download the Disneyland app, which is completely free. Try to do this asap and go on the app, check it out, how it works, how to navigate and where to go to get the boarding pass. Becoming familiar with the app will really make it a lot easier and less stressful. Make sure you know the login and password for your account. Know how to log in to make sure you are all ready to go when the big day arrives
2. Once you purchase your Disneyland tickets, you will want to link everyone’s tickets or annual passes into the app. That way when it is time to join a boarding group, you will all be in the same boarding group and can ride together. Otherwise, you may all get separate boarding groups and won’t be able to experience the ride together. So make sure to link everyone’s ticket in the Disneyland app!
(How to link park tickets to the app- Once on the Disneyland app, click the 3 lines at the bottom of the page. It will then take you to the tickets and passes page. Once on that page, click the plus sign, which is at the top of the page. There will the be a barcode image that says Link tickets and passes. You can then scan everyone’s tickets to be saved to your account.)
3. Everyone in your party must have their tickets scanned and inside the park to get added to a boarding group. So make sure everyone is awake, up early and ready to go. Each ticket that you want to have join a boarding group must be scanned into Disneyland (not California Adventure) to join a group. If only part of your group is actually through the gates only that part will be able to join a boarding group.
4. Check park hours. Make sure you know when the park opens which will help you be able to plan when you should arrive. Also, make sure to check the magic morning times. Magic mornings allow guests staying at Disney Hotels to enter the park 1 hour early before the park’s official opening. Don’t worry, boarding passes are not available until the official park opening so its a fair shot for everyone. If there is a magic morning going on the day you attend, make sure to pay attention to the line you get in to get into the park. A lot of lines are only for magic morning guests and if you do not have that, you will want to get in a line for regular admission.
5.Plan on arriving super early. I recommend if the park opens at 8, that you are getting in line for the park by 7 am. This means you will have to leave early, give yourself enough time to go through security, which lines can be super long for this, and are in a line ready to enter Disneyland.
6. Disneyland does allow you to get inside the park 30 minutes before the official opening. You will want to be inside the park before the park opens to give yourself a better chance of getting a boarding group. You don’t want to get up extra early and try to get a boarding group only to be stuck in the security line or waiting to get scanned through the gate.
7.Once you are inside the park make sure you have the app open and ready to go. It seems to work best if you turn WiFi off and blue tooth and close out of all other apps. Do not try to enter a boarding group early, it must be exactly, to the second of the park’s official opening.
8. Have the Disneyland app open about 2 minutes before the park opens. Assign someone to keep track of the time, down to the seconds and the second it turns to park opening. Make sure that you close all of your open apps including the Disneyland app and then open the Disneyland app fresh immediately before the park opening.
Once the park opens, here’s what you do
1. Find the Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance boarding group information and click “find out more.”
2. Click “my status” then on the next page click join boarding group
3. Select your tickets for everyone in your group and GO!
4. Pray to the Disney fairies you get a boarding group
5. You will then, hopefully, be given a boarding group number.
NOTE- boarding groups are gone within minutes. Usually, within the first 2-3 minutes, they are all gone. Remember, the app glitches, your phone can be acting funny- everyone is on their phones, on the app and trying for the same thing. So things outside of your control can happen. So if you don’t get a boarding group, I know it will be frustrating. As I said, there is no guarantee for anyone that you will get one, no matter how prepared or what you do. Everyone has the same chances of getting one, and sometimes you will be lucky and score one, and other times, for whatever reason it just won’t work out. Try not to get too upset. Keep trying and don’t give up. Tomorrow, next trip, is a new day, a new opportunity to try again.
If you can score a boarding group, whats next?
You are given a boarding group number. When Kevin and I went we got number 77 which was a backup Boarding group for that day, and we rode around 5 pm. The ride did break down for a few hours, so we might have been able to ride sooner, but because of the delays, it wasn’t until 5 pm when our boarding group was called to ride.
The line does move pretty quickly and there is a lot to do and see once you get in line. Once in line, your experience truly does begin,
In the Disneyland App, and on various status boards around the park it will tell you what boarding groups they are on. You are not able to ride until your boarding group number is called and then once called, you have 2 hours to return to the ride. (sometimes later in the day it is only 1 hour) So keep checking back to see where they are in line. You can also get notifications to let you know when it is your turn to ride.
Some FAQ about Rise of the Resistance
- You must be 40” to ride
- There is no fast pass as of now
- There is a rider switch available, so ask a cast member about this if it applies to your situation.
- The ride is located in Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge within the Disneyland Park. (star wars land)
- If you have magic morning or extra magic hour you will still have to wait until the park is officially open to try and join a boarding group
- You must be inside of Disneyland to get a boarding group. You cannot be in California Adventure park and get a boarding group
- Everyone in your group can have everyone’s tickets scanned into the app on their device. It’s better to do this and have everyone try so maybe one of you will get lucky and score the boarding group
- You cannot choose your boarding group number or the time you get to ride
- The ride can break down. This affects how fast they go through the boarding group numbers. If it does break down during your window, you will be issued a pass to come back
- Just because you have a boarding group it doesn’t mean you will get to ride. Since the ride can go down, not every one’s numbers get called. This is super annoying, I know, but something to keep in mind. Disney cast members do their best to get through the numbers and get as many people on as they can.
- You can only get 1 boarding group per day.
- The amount of boarding groups that get ride varies, day to day. It all depends on if and how often the ride goes down.
Can you get a physical Fastpass reminder without dealing with your phone or the app to obtain a boarding group?
YES! Locations may change so I would check with a cast member when you enter Disneyland, but as of now, they have 2 stations. One in Critter County near Splash Mountain and one in Tomorrowland near Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters.
The issue I see with this is that these lines can get long and unless you are the first few in line, chances of getting a boarding group are pretty low. So if you can be the first one at one of these stations, great! Otherwise you better off using the app. If possible have someone try for a physical ticket and someone else on the app ready.
The whole process of scoring a boarding group is SUPER stressful. I am not going to lie. However, I think it is 100% worth it. IF you can score a boarding group you are in for a one of a kind experience. The cast members on the ride make you feel like you are a part of it and the whole experience is just amazing.
If you keep these tips and info in mind, I hope they will help you score a boarding pass. I am sending you lots of love, luck, good phone service, and strong fingers.
May the force be with you!
If you are able to ride Rise of the Resistance please let me know. Also if you have other tips or tricks for scoring a boarding pass I would love to know!
Until Next Time
Are you looking at planning a trip to any of the Disney Resorts? I am proud to have partnered with Get Away Today to have them help you plan your next trip. You can check out there site HERE to book vacation packages or if you are only looking for tickets you can also use the link to access discounted tickets to Disney and many other theme parks and attractions! You can also use the Coupon Code JJourney10 to receive $10 off your next Southern California vacation package that included 2+ nights and at least 2 tickets.